Sunday, August 14, 2016

Vegan Bites: Fava Quinoa Cakes

 Fava Quinoa Cakes

I love cookbooks, but I don't buy them. It's rare I find one that has multiple vegan recipes that are excellent, so I just copy my favourite recipes into the selective few cookbooks I have purchased.
The Vibrant Table however, exceeds my cookbook-buying criteria. Nearly every recipe is simple, made with easy to purchase ingredients and is not your typical vegan fare. This book made the wish list with flying colours!


The first recipe we attempted were the Fava Quinoa Cakes and honestly, I was extremely skeptical. A whole lot of kale, quinoa, fava beans and not much spice?
There is a crunchy coating called for on the outside that really perfects these little patties; pumpkin seed, golden flax and sesame.
Fantastic recipe!

Fava Bean Quinoa Cakes
~1/2c quinoa
~1c water
~salt
Boil quinoa in water with salt and fluff with fork.
~1 1/2c fava beans
~2c steamed kale, chopped (squeeze out excess water)
~1 clove garlic
~1T fresh ginger
~2T fresh parsley, mint
~1/2t garam masala
~1t salt
~pepper
~1/2T oil
Blend all ingredients, including quinoa in processor.
Mix together...
~1/4c ground pumpkin seed
~1/3c golden flax
~1/4c sesame seed
Add 1/4 of this mix to processor.
Form patties. Roll in remaining seed mix.
Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?