Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Daily Doodle: Word Association

 Fence. Rock. Bird
When O and I have a few minutes alone, we usually play a game or paint together.
Yesterday we came up with an impromptu painting game using word association.
It was actually for my benefit, since I didn't know what to draw, so I asked her for some word prompts.

When it was her turn, I started out with nouns, being the simplest to translate onto paper.
Fence.
Rock.
Bird.
 Popsicle

As she moved along with the prompts, she drew simple nouns with additional emphasis.
'Popsicle' became a girls long tongue eating said popsicle.

Fire. Eat.

'Eat' was combined with another prompt (the verb, cook) in another level of association; where she took an original picture and combined it with a new prompt.
I love that the verb 'cook' is a fire, not a gas oven!

 Listen
When I introduced verbs, she didn't even hesitate.
Once the prompt was out of my mouth, she was immediately drawn to her paper with a big light bulb flashing above her head!
Lift

The difference in our work?
When she gave me a prompt, it took me several minutes to sit and think of something clever, at which point I didn't even have a clever idea, just the most obvious drawing available!

When I gave her a prompt, her thought went instantly from mind to paper and the verbs in particular, were very inventive!
It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.” 
― Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?